top of page
house 11.png
house 22.png

The Manse

The Presbyterian Manse in Glendale is situated next door to the original church sanctuary or Church House. 

 

The word manse comes from the Latin mansus which meant a house or an amount of land sufficient to support one family. It began to be used as a designation for the home of ministers in England during the 16th-century. 

 

The manse for the First Presbyterian Church of Glendale was built at its present site in 1891. As was usual at that time, gas lights were used. The first minister and his family to live in the house was the Reverend D.A. Heron, DD.

 

The manse began using electric lights in 1915. By contrast, the sanctuary did not receive electric lights until 1923.

 

Church minutes state, "On January 13, 1933, a special congregational meeting was held for the purpose of receiving and acting on a report to remodel the manse." Written plans for this renovation and specifications are in the possession of the church. In April 1933, plans were completed by architect, A.C. Dennison. The project was not to exceed $10,000. The congregation collected $10,772 in special pledges for this renovation. The Reverend William Hudnut and his family were the first residents in the newly remodeled manse.

 

As time progressed, the house was upgraded with gas heat, air conditioning, and a laundry room. Prior to being the laundry room, the area was a bathroom, complete with bathtub. This is rather interesting, since there is not a bedroom downstairs.

 

Other areas of interest: In the dining room, a small hole in the middle of the floor was where a bell once existed. When the family wished for service from the hired help, the bell would be rung by stepping on it. In the Master Bedroom there is a bell that rings in the kitchen to signal to the hired help when service was desired.

​

​

bottom of page